This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi. We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.These are listed and explained in the table below.ConceptDefinition -give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.TikangaThe way the marae do things.PōwhiriThe welcoming ceremony for when visitors come onto the marae.Tangata whenuaThe local people that are connected to the marae.ManuhiriVisitors to the marae.TūrangawaewaeThe marae is your home and it has right and rules.WhanaungatangaYou feel like you belong.Manaakitangarespect the elders.ArohaIt means loves.See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.